TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Hagerty seems to be extremely variable- longish rant- 56K no
People Seeking Info

Subject Hagerty seems to be extremely variable- longish rant- 56K no

Posted by vorpalZed on July 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM
  This message has been viewed 371 times.

In Reply To Interesting, I have Hagerty and was told posted by Jayru on July 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Message Cliffs Notes: I have 6 cars insured through Hagerty Canada (policies written by Elite Insurance) cheaply with no hassles... everyone else I've recommended to try them has been disappointed with the price or coverage quoted... dunno if it's my age, multiple cars or sunny disposition, but I've been treated well and extremely happy... others have not.

Full story:

I signed up 3 years ago with my '69 Datsun Roadster when they were just entering the Canadian market. My local broker urged me to switch the roadster over as she said they were much better for pricing and agreed value coverage. I was required to get a third party evaluation for agreed value coverage which I did and insured the roadster for agreed $ 15000.00.

Coverage is 2 mil. liability, collision & comprehensive for $ 246.00/ year. There are mileage restrictions and I can't use it for daily driving, but a screaming bargain compared to the previous policy where I was paying $ 1200.00/ year with no agreed value coverage.

A year later ConVerTT tipped me to the fact the Hagerty Canada had opened up to pre-2000my vehicles. I called in for a quote for my 3 Z32s. The Hagerty person I spoke with was fairly car savvy and set up a quote for the 3 Zeds. They required a modification form to be filled out and a few pictures of the engine bay, driver's interior and hatch area, which I supplied for all 3. I asked about modifications and they were perfectly fine with the turbo and power upgrades I had done, even to the NA vert. The only questions they were adamant on were:

1) Nitrous
2) Roll cage

of which I don't have. They didn't ask about anything else, and I didn't supply them with any info they didn't ask for. I did submit a fairly complete mod list including aftermarket wheels which was just fine by them.

They asked for my evaluation for agreed value for the Zeds with no appraisal this time. I insured them for 20K 15K and 15K respectively. Same coverage as the roadster.

Premium for each Zed: $ 240.00, $ 98.00, $ 178.00 based on higher deductables (1K) for the lower amounts. Total all in for 4 cars was under $ 1K/ year. I ensured they were agreed value replacement policies.

I have since added my 350Z twin turbo and my 1967 roadster by simply picking up the phone and adding them to my current policy. Pricing is about the same for the new cars, under $ 200.00 each for the same coverage as the first roadster. 350Z twin turbo I put at 20K and the 67 roadster at 10K.

All in for 6 cars, about $ 1250.00/ year. I have a 15% across the board discount for no claims in 3 years and for multiple vehicles insured. I have never had a claim yet with Hagerty, can't comment on how that is handled.

I pay an extra $ 60.00 for Hagerty Plus which adds roadside assistance and a glossy magazine every couple of months. I've used the roadside assistance twice, flatdecked both times to the destination I chose (one was several km outside the city) with no issues.

Now for the other side of the story...

Two members of the Z club contacted Hagerty for insurance quotes on their cars, 1993 Z32 and 2004 350Z twin turbo. One said the quotes was high (like $ 1500.00/year), about what they were already paying. They went with a higher agreed value, but for the same coverage I'm getting, it was quadruple the price. This was about a year after I had the turbo 350Z added to my policy.

The other club member said they were grilled on track events and told they won't insure if you go to a drag night... if the car is raced, no insurance for you! They never asked me this, I never volunteered it.

Both people said the Hagerty agents were not fun to deal with, yet I've had great conversations with them every time I call.

A couple others have said they'll look at local classic car insurance companies rather than Hagerty... haven't heard the results back.

So to sum up, I've had great luck with pricing and treatment from Hagerty Canada so far, other club members with similar cars haven't.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.