TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Custom Craft vs Interior Innovations
People Seeking Info

Subject Custom Craft vs Interior Innovations

Posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on April 11, 2019 at 8:37 AM
  This message has been viewed 248 times.

In Reply To Pics of new steering wheel? (n/m) posted by Boosted1 on April 11, 2019 at 05:44 AM

Message Interior Innovations:

The first thing I noticed when I picked up both wheels was how much heavier the Interior Innovations wheel was. It has to be at least a pound or two more. I thought it might be a SUV wheel?

Note the differences in the leather grain. This wheel has a large grain leather w/ multiple section seams. It's also thicker and a bit more rumpled in texture and fit.

Finally, the splined shaft was undersized to the point that a dead-blow hammer was needed to force it onto the splines deep enough to expose enough threads to pull it down.

After direct comparison with my original wheel, I'm thinking now this wasn't even a Z32 wheel, at least not a '96 replacement wheel.

Custom Craft:

Only two seams with the leather smoothed and pulled tight over entire circumference of the wheel. As noted above, it was much lighter and just a little bit thinner. And it slipped back onto the splines easily because it was the original wheel.

The next project is the shifter:

I used a 2015 Camaro shifter assembly on the six speed T56. The GM shaft was then turned down on a lathe and threaded to accept the OEM Nissan handle.

As you can see, I need another half turn of new threads so that the shifter handle clocks tight at the twelve o'clock.

And then there's the location of the shifter itself.

The Z32 shifter is located to the left side of the transmission and comes up into the cabin on the left side of the console. Whereas the T-56 shifter comes up on the centerline of the trans, and as it enters the cabin, it locates too far to the passenger side of the console opening. This lack of clearance prevents use of the Nissan leather boot because it will bind against the edge of the console in reverse, 5th, and 6th gears.

I like the corrugated rubber boot look; but I'll probably cut away some of the console on the starboard side in order to gain clearance and then adapt a leather boot.

This is all in keeping with the original build theme; which was to keep the exterior and interior as stock-appearing as possible... Everything except the rumble. gordo

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.