TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Because we all do things that are not "recommended"
People Seeking Info

Subject Because we all do things that are not "recommended"

Posted by Scott ZShack Taylor on October 03, 2018 at 10:02 AM
  This message has been viewed 440 times.

In Reply To If not recommended to run that level of boost, then why do posted by ForceFedTT on October 02, 2018 at 11:38 PM

Message People eat things that are not recommended and drive above recommended speed limits etc.
Some people are not comfortable with pushing their setups and others want everything it can offer.
If we went with the general concensus on this forum, no one should make over 600hp because it is not daily driveable, we should never run Ethanol in this car because it has aluminum heads and it will eat them, and stock OEM head bolts will hold over 1000hp!
When I decided to finally get on the internet forums, I was frustrated with the mentality of this community. So many people saying why we shouldn't do things instead of wanting to see the platform pushed forward. It was like a bunch of guys have been there done that and no one should try to do more than them. And if they did, they were shot down, much like this post.
At one point it was deemed stupid to run a 2860 turbo on these cars because they were laggy and way to big. Now thanks to guys like myself, Rick Norman, Mike Jackson and many others, it is known that you can daily drive a Z making 850hp+ and the GTX2860 gen 2 turbo is now considered the best overall turbo for this car. Technology is ever growing, we can either embrace it and use it to push boundaries, or we can sit back and let the z become the car that time forgot.
Because of this page, I delayed giving E85 a try. A simple search on here 8+ years ago showed it was horrible and pointless. Then one day, after long discussions, Mike and Myself chose to throw caution to the wind and make the switch. No one knew what to do for tuning it so we improvised. The results of what we did have elevated this platform to levels previously never thought possible. We pushed our fuel systems limits and did what was not "recommended".
Another example, back in 2012 I tested the OEM TT fuel pump on a dyno using E85 to show that a healthy pump will flow enough fuel to make 600hp on stock sized lines. My Z went lean at 638hp due to pressure drop. At the time no one knew what it could do due to the added fuel flow requirements.
I tuned my z on Nistune with ID1300cc top feeds when everyone said it could not be done because Nistune lacked the "Clarity" to run those injectors. I had to build all my own fuel and timing maps to make it happen.
I have always shared this information with anyone interested, even at the expense of being ridiculed.
To use the logic of why do something that is not recommended would have kept people like Ash from trying to rebuild lifters and share it with the world, or kept Greg Dupree from trying iridium plugs in the car when only platinum plugs where recommended, so on and so forth!

I personally love seeing the car pushed to new levels.
When I say it is not recommended to push a turbo to its limits, I mean for a person that has longevity in mind. But it takes people pushing and finding those limits in order to know what those limits are so that others can make their own decisions as to where they want to run their setups at and be comfortable at knowing they have the best chance to make it last.
If we don't test things and push limits, we would all be driving bone stock cars, fearing a change will damage the car.

While I would never call anyone "Dumb" for wanting to keep things safe, those that prefer to stay safe should not call the guys that push boundaries and limits dumb for doing so. In the end, the community learns from things like this. Not from staying safe
:-)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.