TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Allow me to clear up some misunderstandings.
People Seeking Info

Subject Allow me to clear up some misunderstandings.

Posted by Scott ZShack Taylor on October 02, 2018 at 5:56 PM
  This message has been viewed 579 times.

In Reply To Have you guys seen this? posted by Boostjuice on October 01, 2018 at 08:10 PM

Message This car belongs to Brent Thomas. It is stock heads and cams.
I tuned this car to what the owner wanted. He wanted to see what the car could do. This is the result.
I tune using the best, state of the art knock equipment. Plex knock monitor uses dual knock sensors and the best DSP in the industry. This assures me we are not getting into knock.
This car kept making power all the way up as we increased the boost one psi at a time without getting into any knock. This car has no Co2 actuators on it and never did.

My comments on our page regarding CO2 linear actuators was in reference to one of our shop cars used for testing and my personal 850hp+ z. It was more than just locking the actuators closed as mentioned above, we used a boost controller that was modified by us to control Co2. It used Co2 to hold the gates closed and would bleed it off to maintain a set boost point. Where a normal boost controller will stop pressure from reaching the actuators until the boost set point is reached, then it opens them. The stock setups rely on a spring to hold the gates shut. But when larger power or boost is made, the springs push open. I discovered this on my Specialty Z EXP100 Gt3076r turbos. I Diagnose, tested and sorted the solution for Seb at SZ many years ago by using stronger springs etc. The Co2 was an option to help this particular turbo reach its original potential. It is not used to make customers turbos infinitely spool as suggested above!
As for the boost level on Brent's car, The 525 journal bearing turbos have the 360 degree thrust washers on them which help with spooling higher. While we do not recommend running the turbos at that level all the time, in this case it kept making power and Brent wanted to push them all the way.

In reference to the AIT's, we need to understand that air temps as they relate to fuels will vary based on the fuel being used. Every fuel has a different latent heat of vaporization. Gas and ethanol will each remove heat at a different rate. So while the turbo is increasing air temps, the simple injection of alcohol further lowers the air temps entering the cylinders. More so than gasoline can! So where gasoline will detonate at a given AIT, Ethanol will not detonate until a much higher temp is reached. It will in fact continue to make more power. This is the very reason we use Ethanol in the first place.
While over-speeding the turbos is a very real concern, it is ultimately up to the owner to decide. Ash has stated that he takes his stock turbos to 32psi since he has thrust washers as well. Nothing new here.
This car endured many dyno pulls in some of the hottest temps that Houston has to offer and did it with stride. Brent drove this car all the way from Houston to San Diego without issues. He has tracked the car and driven the heck out of it and she is still going strong. She is a beast for sure.
:-)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.