TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Had a prototype VQ25 engine..
People Seeking Info

Subject Had a prototype VQ25 engine..

Posted by Bernie (NoVA) on August 27, 2018 at 11:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 472 times.

In Reply To Samsung SSC-1 posted by Polish on August 27, 2018 at 10:31 PM

Message [ http://www.carlife.net/bbs/board.php?bo_table=cl_1_1&wr_id=621 ]

Google translated from Korean:

Samsung SSC-1 vs Prototype PS-II Two intense and fascinating 'native' sports cars
2001-11-19 | 23,312 reads
Even if you are not a person who cares and loves a car, you may get caught up in the charm of the coming car with a strong attraction for a moment. So if you are interested in cars, there is no better way to say it. Usually a couple of dream cars are in my heart. A cool sports car with agile moves in a sleek position will be part of that dream ... ... .

It is generally accepted that the obsession with 'ours' of our people is somewhat unusual. This phenomenon is remarkable even in the field of automobiles. Compared to other countries with mass-produced automobile makers, Korea's imported automobile market share is very low. Whether it is patriotic footsteps or governmental economic policy products, it is also true that free choice of consumers is somewhat limited. Of course, it was blocked by the 'expensive' barriers.

I am dreaming of a seductive sports car, but the car fans, who have not realized it for such a long time, will soon be able to meet 'our sports car'. The PS-II of the prototype was announced recently. I also met with Samsung SSC-1, which had the same concept that I had to turn my first meeting with a consumer into a "one-day Chunmong". The image of a 'high performance two-seater sports car' is intense and fascinating to warm our blood. Moreover, are not both models "native"?

Mid-tenth engine tried since the 1930s

The high-performance two-seater sports car is not so significant in the overall car market. In addition, its position in the domestic market is narrower. It is also not easy to see those cars that have already established a reputation. This is the reason why carmakers are not able to enter the high-end sports car market, which has high added value and greatly contributes to corporate image.

Failure is fearful. The position of a small company is somewhat different, but the essence is similar. It is difficult to attract massive funds to develop high-performance cars, but it is easy to fail. Such automobiles depend on manual processes for most of the processes, so it is not easy to make production decisions because the cost is often insufficient and the production and sales over a certain scale must be maintained. For the makers, the automobile market is a cold and fierce battleground.

Samsung Motors, which started its motivation a few years ago, was able to produce prototypes by developing a high-performance two-seater sports car, which no car maker could touch before. A few years later, a small car design and production company, Proto Motors, who dreams of Korea's representative carroquia, is taking off in the development of native sports cars. It is a coincidence that the sports cars of the two companies have many things in common. So it is very exciting to have a chance to look into two cars at once.
Both the Samsung SSC-1 and the prototype PS-II are mid-engine sports coupés that place the engine between the driver's seat and the rear axle. The mid-engine or midship layout we commonly know is usually somewhat offset from backwards, as the engine is located between the residential space and the rear axle rather than being in the middle of the car, but it is an intermediate form of FF and FR I call it.

In the 1920s, automotive engineers who were ahead of their time came to meet the inefficiency of front-engine rear-wheel-drive (FR) -built vehicles, which required the use of long propeller shafts. A group of these pioneering engineers chose to combine the engine and transmission in front of the car and roll the front wheels. By doing this, we could get more free in terms of space utilization. Citroën Tractacion Avant, Lite 15, 2CV, and later Mini are the legacies of these.

The other group thought it would be advantageous to place the engine and transmission in the rear of the car and roll the rear wheel. Volkswagen Beetle, Porsche 911 and many other rear-engine cars.
In the 1930s, Autonion enjoyed having fun with a rear engine race car, but it did not become mainstream until after 10 years of World War II. Since then, Cooper's cars, which were based on the Fiat 500, which was mounted behind a 0.5X engine, won the Grand Prix, and the rear engine system became popular. However, since the engine of these cars was placed in a position that did not pass the rear wheel, the concept of 'mid engine' started and can be seen from then.

Why did SSC-1 PS-II or SSC-1 use the SM525 ? The answer is most ideal because of the engine arrangement of the sports car. Traditionally, the Porsche, who has been keeping a lid on the rear, has opted for the Carrera GT, Let's take a look at the advantages of mid-teens. First, it is easy to design. Because the engine is not put in front, you can freely design the front foot.

Second, it can easily approach the weight distribution of 50:50 in front and back. In addition to benefits in cornering, it also has the advantage of being able to increase the grounding power at acceleration and reducing the load on the front wheels, so that the need for power steering is eliminated even when using a wide range of tires. Third, since most of the weight is placed in the wheel base, the effect of inertia is less when the car is moving. (Imagine a case where a weight of the same size is hung on a line of different length. This is a factor that greatly affects the driving characteristics of a car.

If there is light, there is a shadow. There are also disadvantages. There is a narrow space available for a given car length. But this is not a big problem for a sports car with two seats. Next, it is difficult to maintain the engine. Because the front and back are far away and accessibility to the engine is low, it is said that the mechanic is the most reluctant type of car.
In 1997, when Samsung Motor announced the SSC-1 concept car, many people expected that the production of mid-size sports cars was not too far. However, Samsung Motors was caught in the swirl of the big deal, and the expectation of mass production of SSC-1 also disappeared like a bomb.

The SSC-1, which we met this time, is one of the collections of the Samsung Transportation Museum. I do not know what material I would have made if it had been mass-produced, but the car body of this car is an FRP material commonly used in prototyping. It is not in perfect shape as if the format of the frame was not fixed either.

The horizontally mounted engine is Nissan's V6 2.5X VQ for the SM525. This is different from the PS-II where the engine is placed vertically. These engine layouts seem to be the choice to use the transmission used in the front-wheel-drive system rather than the decisions made on the pros and cons. Already proven globally, the engine delivers a maximum output of 190 horsepower. However, if it led to mass production, it might have increased the displacement or the output (VQ ??engine is 3.0X class). The suspension is double wishbone front and rear, damper and spring combined with coneye and iibach.

It's kind of awkward to try out the performance of a car that's just a prototype, not a test drive, but I've tried it anyway. The seat is very low in position as a sports car, and is an all-steel bucket seat with ivory-colored leather. The side seats are high and the seats are relatively low, making it quite inconvenient to go in and out. However, in order to secure the rigidity of the body and styling, side seals must be thick. This is also true for the PS-II.

Many parts of the interior have brought either Samsung or Nissan's. These parts do not necessarily coincide with mass production. Turn the key and start the engine. The engine makes a loud bang. It was disappointing because it was not a massive bass that caused my heart to jump, but it reminds me again that it is not a finished car. I went to and fro from here and there, but it was not enough to give me the thrill.

This car was an anthropological prototype that had been waiting for a hatch and became a fossil without seeing the world light. In addition, it is not a collection of museums. I was sorry to rush it. The brakes are front and rear with Brembo, both V-discs. Performance is sensitive enough to be overkill. If it was mass produced, it would have been adjusted.

PS-? with high quality prototype PS-?

is the ambition of prototypes of the best carrozzeria. There are some hundreds of chief stylists who choose and choose among the Xi'an, but there was a part of the person who said that there will be a part to change in the mass production stage.

Lightweight, rigid aluminum space frame is used and FRP body is worn. The space frame is structurally difficult to avoid the relatively thick side seals. The Mercedes-Benz 300SL coupe has a gage door with a space frame, so it has enough gusset rigidity. The V6 3.0X engine of the domestic automobile company was trimmed, and the maximum output was 250 horsepower. The engine was arranged vertically and combined with a six-speed manual transmission. The transmission is said to have been converted to a six-speed version of Istana's.

The suspension is a double wishbone type front and rear, and the brake uses both front and rear V discs. Calipers are said to be domestic products. Since the PS-II is also under development, the engine, transmission, interior and exterior components, suspension, and brakes can not be considered definitive products. Like SSC-1, PS-II could not be driven roughly. The person who brought the car is still in the setting section, so I encouraged him to ride rather than take the test. The PS-II, which I looked over my shoulder and felt like a hips, was also an unfinished atmosphere. However, the PS-II is more advanced in transmission, engine sound and interior. If SSC-1 is a past-completion type, then PS-II is currently in progress and is likely to be.

The styling of both cars seems to be similar at first. The low wedge front view and the connecting line from the roof to the top of the rear fenders are typical mid coupe coupés. But if you look at each one in detail, you can read the changes in design over time. The styling of the PS-II is straightforward, but with the SSC-1 you can find more curves and richer volume. The SSC-1 also has a 17-inch, PS-II, 18-inch wheels (both rear tires are wider than front tires). SSC-1 is a rather attractive woman with a rather chubby body, and PS-? is like a seductive woman whose body is well-suited to exercise and diet.

These are not all mass-produced cars, but they are the cars that are worth a shot at Korean automakers. The PS-II will have a clear mass production plan, and if it realizes it will be the first mass-produced mid-size sports coupe in Korea, regardless of its commercial success. But I hope that this car will not stop getting the "first" qualifier. It is born with a high-quality car and wishes to receive good evaluation in the market. The market never ignores good products. If the PS-II succeeds, the proto car struggling on the barren soil of the domestic automobile culture will be reborn as the world's famous caricature.

Cooperation with the pilot: Samsung Transportation Museum ? (031) 320-9924,
Proto ? (031) 339-4333

Bernie Bilski
berniebilski@cox.net
President of Z-Car Club of Northern Virginia

1995 Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo in Cobalt Green
1997 Nissan 240SX SE in Ultra Red
2006 Nissan Frontier SE in Ultra Black

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.