TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - more info given ;)
People Seeking Info

Subject more info given ;)

Posted by Spectrum (WI) on August 03, 2018 at 10:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 302 times.

In Reply To .......more info please. posted by The Hawk on August 03, 2018 at 07:59 PM

Message I only had 2 transmissions. I rebuilt one twice.

All of my trans failures occur when in gear (not shifting) usually at the end of a track secession. The gear I am in most is 3rd gear, 4th a little less, 5th depends on the track. I broke two transmissions at Autobahn in Ill. That track is mostly in 3rd. Broke one at Road America. I was accelerating out of turn 1 and BAM.

Its not the shifting that is causing it to break, its the heavy acceleration, heat, friction, etc. I am using factory fluid recommended by Specialty Z. I also change out fluid every day when I am at the track so if the fluid is prematurely breaking down I get some fresh stuff in there.

Not too many drive as hard as I do. My data logs have recorded 1.2+ G's on some corners, accelerating up to 120, 130, 140, and 150 down to 45 miles/hr. for 30 minutes at a crack. I think the heat and the helical cut of the gears mixed with a lot of torque is too much for stock transmissions.

Getting PPG gears cost about as much as this upgrade. I kinda like the idea of rowin a 6th gear. would keep me in my powerband better on the track.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.