TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You hit the main "sin" in setting up the diff correctly on
People Seeking Info

Subject You hit the main "sin" in setting up the diff correctly on

Posted by SirpriZ on July 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM
  This message has been viewed 311 times.

In Reply To I recall reading how they needed to be shimmed precisley posted by LJZTT on July 26, 2018 at 08:40 PM

Message the head. I found out, after having a specialty differential shop set up my first run of 100 gears. Some were whisper quiet, some made some level of noise and some howled. This is where "the infamous first batch whine started". In talking to the owner of the shop, he told me they simply flip flopped the stock Nissan shims from one side to the other trying to get one of the absolute critical clearances that you referenced....backlash. So sometimes they got it dead nuts on, sometimes it was close, and sometimes it was so off that people were suffering hearing damage (j/k) from the howl. Finally I talked to Russ (Greg Dupree's trans guy), who has been in the trans and differential business for decades. He explained how critical setting up backlash was, and having a selection of various thicknesses of shims was to set up that clearance. BTW, to answer you question about proper clearances, backlash should be between .008-.012. The other critical clearance is called pinion depth, and is stamped on the head of each specific pinion gear, so each set is a set designed for each other. The last critical consideration is the torque applied to the pinion nut, I don't recall that spec, but would be more than happy to find it for you if you need it. If you are still awake at this point, you also want to break the gears in, in a specific way; which I would also be more than happy to get you if you need it (just text or phone me, phone number is in profile. I'm a bit long winded (no shot), so I hope this clarifies some stuff for you and makes sense). Without going into a whole new subject, it's a shame you spent good money and can't enjoy one of the few modifications we can do to our cars that have NO performance downside. Take care, Mark

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.