TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Monterey Historics - Tu's photo locations
People Seeking Info

Subject Monterey Historics - Tu's photo locations

Posted by Tu on July 19, 2018 at 7:41 PM
  This message has been viewed 1129 times.

Message For the curious, and for those who want more than the corkscrew view... these are the locations I visit over the course of 3 or 4 days during the Historics.

The numbers on this pic do not correspond to the turns on the track... just sayen.

1a & 1b Outside the track, at the main footbridge / start finish line and overlooking turn 2 can be done during the same run group. If you're very silly.

1a

1b Nice high location overlooking turn 1, turn 2, and a general view of the whole track. Restroom but no food.

2 Exit of the Andretti hairpin. The problem with this spot is the fence. This is one of the few locations where you're overlooking one fence and looking through another fence. There are a few photography holes around the turn to shoot through and there are some good angles available. But, those are usually occupied saturday and sunday, so I visit turn 2 on thursday or friday.

3 One of my favorite spots is under the 'tire' foot bridge that connects the paddock area to the general vendor area. Lots of food and vendors selling race related goods on the pond side. You can get close to the track, semi under the bridge in the shade! and catch the cars exiting turn 3 accelerating to turn 4.

Exiting Turn 3

At the foot bridge

There are some stands at Turn 4 that face the footbridge and you can see the exit to turn 3, the approach and exit of turn 4, and maybe the approach to 5. Can't find any pics for some reason... sorry.

Turn 5. Another great location with a low fence where you are slightly overlooking the track. Great sightlines on the approach and apex with an ok view of the exit. This area usually has a private hospitality tent on saturday and sunday so if you want the apex view, you have to get there on thursday or friday.

Approaching Turn 5

Turn 5 Apex. Good overtaking location.

5a, 5b, 5c

Turn 6. Another area where you're looking down with a great view of the approach, apex, and exit. There is also a camping ground near by. No food or drinks available.

5a This is a view above and to the outside of turn 6.

Turn 6 Apex. This is also a good spot for passing.

Exiting turn 6, climbing the Rahal Straight up to the Corkscrew. Lots of runoff area for those who overcook the turn.

5b

After a few laps I will walk down and catch the cars on the exit of turn 6 from ground level. Not a great view, but it's a different look.

5c

And after another few laps I'll run back to the traffic bridge, cross the track, and run to the apex to get an inside view of turn 6. That will cover the last 2 or 3 laps and then I'll reverse the process for the next run group. Very silly.

The Corkscrew Spots 6a, 6b, 6c, and 6d

The signature area of the track and where most of the crowd will watch. There are usually 1 or 2 food/drink vendors up here and not much else. There are restrooms available. There are no stands or seats anywhere but the terrain provides a nature viewing are with loads of viewing angles. There are also some trees to provide shade.
The fence is low in most if not all of the track from the middle of the corkscrew all the way through turn 9 and 10.

This is another area of the track where I shoot a couple of laps, move. Shoot another couple of laps, move. I'll even cross the footbridge to get to the other side. I can hit 3 or more spots around turns 8, 8a, and turn 9 to get different views. That's the problem when each group only runs 4 times over the weekend and I want the different views.

6a Middle of the corkscrew. The view at the top of the corkscrew is very limited. Terrain, viewing tower, flagstand, and a not so close fence.

Exiting the corkscrew

6b Exiting the corkscrew from the footbridge

Approach to turn 9

6c

The outside of the short straight between the corkscrew and turn 9

The outside of turn 9

The front straight. Here are the main grandstands with a nice view of the front straight, the pits, and the exit of turn 11. Hardly anyone sits here. The fencing is awful for taking pics and since it faces due east, you're getting beat down by the sun.

I'm pretty sure this pic is from the scoring tower, where no one is allowed anyone... but you can see the catch fencing along the front straight that seems to get in all the pics, even from the top.

Or... you could just sit back and enjoy the racing.

Be seeing you.Tu

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.