TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Strength of NA subframe components?
People Seeking Info

Subject Strength of NA subframe components?

Posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on May 06, 2018 at 4:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 358 times.

Message Everything I've read indicates the R200V rear axle is robust enough to handle power up to 500+ HP. However, I am concerned about the strength of the five (5) bolt stub axles and the five (5) bolt NA axles themselves. I'm not going to drag the car, and I am easy on equipment by nature; but I also don't want to build in a weak link.

The question arises because I'm going to swap differentials for a 3.54 out a 90-96 Q45; and I will have the opportunity of using either the five (5) or six (6) bolt output flanges. The cost is the same. However, the diff change requires that choose between using TT or NA hardware on the rest of the driveline.

Should I keep the Q45 six bolt arrangement and spend a substantial sum of money to upgrade drive axles, bearings and hubs to the TT spec?

Or am I safe taking the preferable and less expensive route by making the single modification and swap the diff's six bolt differential flanges for some five bolt ones? This allowing use of the exiting five bolt hardware already on the subframe.

If the NA equipment is inherently problematic under 500 HP; I will upgrade to TT axles, bearings and hubs. Like I said, I'd like to keep the NA, but not if it means I need to always worry about breaking something. Either way, I'd mostly likely rebuild the axles, so that cost is a given.

My question is with a maximum power level of 450 HP to the rear wheels, is it necessary to use TT equipment, or is a rebuilt NA driveline adequate?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.