TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - There's a lot to consider when trying to move air
People Seeking Info

Subject There's a lot to consider when trying to move air

Posted by BlackholeZ on February 27, 2018 at 8:36 PM
  This message has been viewed 300 times.

In Reply To calling the track rats... brake rotor cooling ducts posted by vorpalZ on February 27, 2018 at 10:00 AM

Message Primarily, the air pressure at the outlet of the duct has to be lower than the inlet. It's commonly known that wheel wells tend to be high pressure . Also the air at the front of the car is high velocity , but low pressure. If poorly designed enough, the duct could flow in reverse. The challenge comes in converting this high velocity flow to high pressure, which is usually done with a plenum. A diverging duct behind the inlet will slow the air down and increase its pressure. It can sound counter-intuitive, but it's how pretty much all ducting works. If the inlet is the same diameter as the duct and there's no plenum, the excess air just spills around the inlet.

Sorry for the lecture, been doing a lot of research on this lately for work.
Spats/Gurney flaps in front of the wheel help lower the pressure in the wheel well, so do the vertical fins extending down in front of the wheel. Creating a plenum behind the IC duct to increase pressure on that end also helps. I read a paper about a team trying to do the same thing (cool brakes and driver) and adding a plenum without changing anything externally they ended up having to constrict the outlet because the driver was getting hosed and they had trouble keeping temperature in the brakes.

-Dan

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" -
ChristopherTheOne

" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.