TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm going to make the argument for smaller than
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm going to make the argument for smaller than

Posted by not4resaleZ on February 02, 2018 at 12:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 435 times.

In Reply To In the dyno testing there was a small difference in turbo posted by Ash's Z on January 31, 2018 at 09:15 PM

Message stock plenums. Using larger volume plenums increases lag time to reach desired pressure when the boost changes. They also slow down the air flow velocity thru the plenum due to the greater volume. The benefit to larger plenums is to make balancing the air flow to the runners easier.

I would think with proper design you could improve the runner balance and decrease the plenum volume, and keep some of the flow velocity from the piping thru the plenum into the runners. This might result in significant power gains across the power band, but mostly up top. The reduced plenum volume would help low end response. This would market the design to all instead of just top end drag strip use.

The larger plenums are useful in a naturally aspirated car where velocity stacks feeding directly from the atmosphere are not practical.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.