TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Cometic gasket question...
People Seeking Info

Subject Cometic gasket question...

Posted by Zbruh92 on October 28, 2017 at 7:53 PM
  This message has been viewed 471 times.

Message I’ve heard of a few successful installs but mostly horror stories. It’s likely poor surface preparation, reused head bolts, and incorrect torque sequences were the cause(s) of premature MLS gasket failures. Does anyone have any current or past experiences running MLS?

I’m roughly a week away from finally getting my Z back on the road since September 2016, I’m equally as excited as I am terrified. After multiple head gasket woes I went with the Cometic MLS head gaskets for a couple reasons. When I bought the car it had an ATK remanufactured block so I’m sure it’s already been decked and the heads have clearly been resurfaced once before. I had the block decked and heads resurfaced again due to the surface required for MLS gaskets. The bore on the ATK block was 87.125mm but was running standard pistons. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing and OEM oversized pistons are hard to find so I went with Wiseco 88mm pistons and had the block bored/honed to spec. The guys at Gregory’s in Va Beach, Va do amazing work I highly recommend them to anyone in the area.

Not sure if this is a standard but 0.003” was removed from both the block and head due to machining and I know for a fact this wasn’t the first time it’s been performed on this engine. Cometic also recommends gaskets with a larger bore than the engine. So with timing and clearance in mind I went with an 89mm bore with a thickness of 0.056” (0.011” thicker than stock) and NEW head bolts torqued in proper sequence according to the FSM. Thoughts?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.