TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Possibly a dumb question: Tune vs Boost Controller
People Seeking Info

Subject Possibly a dumb question: Tune vs Boost Controller

Posted by nissubaru on October 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 420 times.

Message I've had my car for a little over a year now, it's more of a project car/garage queen than anything but it absolutely rips when I do take it out. Previous owner had the motor rebuilt and installed Garrett GT 535R turbos, running a zemulator with a z1 ecu, a Greddy boost controller and a custom tune. I kinda get what that means but in terms of "maintaining" it, I have no idea what I have on my hands.

My other two cars are a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT and a 2009 BMW 335i, both are tuned but through very different methods. The Subaru has a flash tune where I just hooked up my computer and flashed a new map raising the boost to ~17.5PSI, if I want to add any mods like an intake or something then I'll need a retune. The BMW has a JB4 which is a piggyback instead of a tune, and as I understand it is more or less a glorified boost controller. My 1990 ttz however has the tune and a boost controller, which is where I get confused.

I do feel like I understand the basics of tuning so that's not what confuses me, it's how I can have a single tune but a multitude of different boost controller settings? My z was supposedly dyno'd at 18 psi, I've since probably messed with my boost controller by accident (as far as I know, once I turned a single knob I may have messed up it). I know I can also mess with WGDC and whatnot but my #1 question is how can I have a tune for say, 18 psi, but then only run 14 pounds of boost limited via my controller? Or would I not do that?

Additionally, how does my BMW piggyback/boost controller scale up to 15+ psi (could be 18psi with around 25% E85 added) running ONLY the stock tune which is 8 PSI.

I have found the thread which talks about tuning your boost controller and whatnot but what I didn't understand was if I should even mess with mine or just leave it alone. On my Subaru I wouldn't touch anything, but with my Z and the BMW it seems the tune is secondary to the boost controller. Mainly I ask this question because I wouldn't mind turning down the boost on my z at times.

Thanks

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.