TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: My car is a 1990 so I believe I would have the 17/16 bore mc
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: My car is a 1990 so I believe I would have the 17/16 bore mc

Posted by VinZmax on September 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM
  This message has been viewed 452 times.

In Reply To My car is a 1990 so I believe I would have the 17/16 bore mc posted by nissubaru on September 19, 2017 at 08:36 AM

Message I've read that description also about 'all the master cylinders are interchangeable.' But what they don't tell you is that you will have vastly different brake feel/power if you simply take whatever they give you and install.

It's really important to understand what effect BMC size has on braking effect.

Nissan must have realized when the Z first came out that the master was a bit large and gave too hard of a brake pedal. In my opinion, what they should have done was 'upsize' the booster. That way you'd have a master that can move a lot of fluid, yet still require a light pedal effort.
Moving to a smaller BMC is ok to a point. Moving down too far in size will give a lot more power, but move less fluid, and therefore require a longer stroke that some may not like.

When I was trying the 15/16" unit, I did love the power, but the pedal went down quite a bit and I really didn't like that. I'm currently on the 1" bore size and can easily lock the brakes if I want to, but that's due to my EBC rotor/pad setup and not the fact that I have a lot of power beneath my brake pedal.
I still think I need to either install a vacuum pump to raise the vacuum and make the booster work harder, or replace the booster with a larger unit (which actually would be a very large project and way harder than the vacuum pump install).

*just a note here; take a look at an olddddd American car. They used to have HUGE vacuum booster assemblies. Those old cars were almost too over-boosted on the braking and you could lock up the brakes with easy. Sucked back then with no ABS, but they did get it right in that even the smallest girl could get the brakes to lock on some big old 4000+ pound Chrysler, with little to no braking effort.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.