TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I felt the same shortly after I bought my car..
People Seeking Info

Subject I felt the same shortly after I bought my car..

Posted by Placuch on September 18, 2017 at 11:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 552 times.

In Reply To Brakes don't feel as powerful as I'd expect? ABS bleed? posted by nissubaru on September 18, 2017 at 09:58 AM

Message Brakes were effective just needed more effort. Like you I tried replacing and rebuilding everything (booster, lines, fluid, calipers, MC), turns out nothing was broken.

Have a read if you're are really intersted
Master Cylinder Math

If you can lock up wheels at high speed, pedal is hard and feel no pulling to the side while braking, I don't think you have air in the system. Therefore bleeding abs should not change the feel, but try it.

Here is my conclusion. Nissan used different bore size master cylinders. I don't know exactly how many variations and different bore sizes, but just looking at online vendors 2 are available. 17/16" and 1".
Reading and watching old car reviews it seems like brakes on the early model were one of the few complaints even back in the day when the car was new. Seems like Nissan tried addressing the problem with a 1/16 smaller MC (and there might have been an even smaller one available later.)
I chose to just accept it and get used to it. Now that I know my brake system is working as it should it does not bother me that it feels a little different than modern. If you really wanna do something about it, you would have to play with smaller MC bore sizes to alter the piston area ratio or different pedal ratios while sacrificing having more pedal travel.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.