TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Update on my broken subframe
People Seeking Info

Subject Update on my broken subframe

Posted by schuss on September 08, 2017 at 1:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 794 times.

Message Making progress on my subframe swap.

For anyone that didn't hear the story some other way, I went to get a corner balance / alignment because the front right tire was rubbing the fender liner despite the Z1 tension rod being wound down all the way to the end of its threads. The tech felt "something funny" and wanted to pull the front bumper splash guard and look around. And we found that my front subframe and cracked in half. Neat.

So after pulling the front bumper, radiator, intercooler pipes, some suspension bracing, the front tow hooks, and whatever else was in the way... then we had to deal with this fun glue:

And then drilling out all the pinch welds:

Of course, as long as I'm in there, why not install AshSpec Massives and 3" Intercooler piping?? :)

New subframe brace is installed and a few tack welds to keep it steady. Thanks @Coz for keeping those in stock! Managed to swap it without disconnecting any of the AC lines so I won't lose any of that yummy vintage freon. :)

Still need to find a few things (mostly due to the IC pipe upgrade), relocate a bunch of things I had hidden in there (those Massives are true to their name!) and a good excuse to clean and paint many things. Should all be done just in time for the rain to come back...

On the break - don't know how it happened and it looks like it might have been working its way loose for a while. Probably got jacked up by that brace at some point (we've all done it before we knew better) and I probably drove 200-300 miles with it broken like that (scary) so good thing that tire was rubbing in protest.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.