TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I vote against a methanol injection kit, unless it's a high
People Seeking Info

Subject I vote against a methanol injection kit, unless it's a high

Posted by MixManMash on August 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 455 times.

In Reply To It was a mustang dyno. posted by pandamanz32 on August 14, 2017 at 09:12 PM

Message end one from Aquamist and you are tuned for it, with lots of safeties in place (i.e. Haltech or some other sophisticated standalone).

Most kits have issues with pump failures. Snow Performance fail-safe module isn't designed with inherent fail safe practices. It only cost me an engine.

The other thing is, injecting it just with 2 nozzles into the intake pipes before the throttle bodies doesn't guarantee even distribution to each cylinder. The only way you can get even distribution is to plumb it into each runner on the plenum.

Second, most of the kits duty cycle the pump to control delivery. This is the absolute worst way you can control delivery. The pumps are not going to respond fast enough and will be inconsistent from run to run. Imagine if fuel injection systems were setup this way... YIKES!

Aquamists higher end kits actually run the pump continuously, and then they have an injector that they duty cycle (similar to a fuel injection systems) to control delivery. This is the way it should be done.

Personally, I would get tuned for the 90 pump octane available to you. Cut down the boost from 14 to 11-12 and run it safe. You might leave 20hp on the table, but at least it won't cost you an engine. If not, then just plan on running a higher octane race fuel and tune accordingly.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.