TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Sorry I am late to the party. Have not checked site lately
People Seeking Info

Subject Sorry I am late to the party. Have not checked site lately

Posted by Kyle(Houston) on August 09, 2017 at 4:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 737 times.

In Reply To Engine carnage part 3..the final verdict? posted by Stanky (BC) on August 08, 2017 at 11:17 PM

Message Someone emailed me about the posts. I am really surprised that Stanky/Patrick did not Email me about all this since he just told me a few months ago that the motor had been running flawlessly since 2013 and had over 15,000 miles on it. And even had the pan off recently and said it looked great underneath. Also commented that Ash had bent 4 stock rods running 600 Ft/lbs recently.

Now to the nitty gritty

I can say with extreme confidence that the rod studs were all proper torqued down on this motor. Why? because I am super OCD and Anal. I do one torque sequence and then about 20 minutes later I double check them again. I do this with the rod bolts, mains, and head bolts on every motor. So the chance of me missing one is extremely unlikely.

I would really like to be able to inspect the nut that did come off. Were the threads pulled out of the nut? Also I would like to see if the bolt was stretched out in anyway. It would be hard to determine since it is bent but it may have stretched enough to have the nut loosen and finally come off.

I do believe at some point the nut was ripped from the stud or came loose and that is what started all of this. BUT I am 1000% sure it is not from lack of proper torque.

Some things I do see from the pictures:

The #2 cylinder was detonating BAD. You can see the pitting and build up on that piston. It should look like the #1 piston on a properly running motor.

You can also see the extreme pitting on the #2 combustion camber. It is evident in most of the other cylinders(especially on the exhaust valves) but #2 is really bad. You can even see it on the tip of the spark plug. Plenty of pitting from detonation. All the other plugs are white tipped from detonation and probably have some pitting as well but I can not tell from the pictures.

I would like to see a few things if you can get them, Patrick

1. The piston skirts. Any scaring of the skirts?

2. The tips of the spark plugs(other then #2). Any pitting on the electrode?

3. Do you have one side or both from the bearings on #2?

4. Any major bearing damage on the #2 crank journal?

5. Did you find the missing nut or did it come out at some point?

Patrick, you can email me if you would like to discuss this further. I want to get to the bottom of this also and would love to really find out what happened vs. speculation on the forum.

I will say again with EXTREME confidence. This was not due to the rod bolt not being properly torqued down. You would have had issues LONG before 15,000 miles if that were the case.

Kyle "Grumpy Bear" Puckett
Import Parts Pro
Phone: 281-288-0700
AIM: KyleatIPP
Yahoo: KyleatIPP

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.