TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: I personally think most idler stud failures have been
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: I personally think most idler stud failures have been

Posted by Schmeal (NV) on August 09, 2017 at 1:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 276 times.

In Reply To I personally think most idler stud failures have been posted by LitlElvis on August 07, 2017 at 08:33 PM

Message If the material is in question, I suppose a tensile test would put everyone with RZ studs at ease. Just doing some quick calcs on the OEM stud, assuming a M10 stud torqued to 43 fl-lbs, you end up with a Fi ~6500lbs and tensile stress of ~54ksi. If the OEM YTS is 130ksi it's within a 2.25 F.S. If the ramey stud material is Chro-moly or 4130, the YTS is only around 60ksi which would put it at around a F.S. of 1. I'm guessing if this was the case we would have seen a lot of them snap by now. If they are in fact a grade 8 then we should be good to go.

If my calcs are correct, OEM studs have a good margin. This is assuming no bending or shear is involved and the stud is in purely a tensile load. It seems as you say, the stories of OEM studs snapping and causing engine failures because they are "weak" isn't the full story. Now I suspect the Ramey stud is a fear based product that in reality could be a weaker than the OEM stud. Guess we need a tensile test. An upgraded stud would have to be made out of something like PH 13-8 Mo, or Aremet to crank up the F.S. from a grade 8 fastener. You're talking mega materials now. The highest FS requirement I've seen was 4. You would need one of these UHS materials to achieve this. my 3 cents.

-------------------------------------------------
Work on your own car, and don't half ass it.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.