TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Gates belt and GMB idlers work great.
People Seeking Info

Subject Gates belt and GMB idlers work great.

Posted by xpwarrior on July 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM
  This message has been viewed 447 times.

In Reply To What is a good aftermarket water pump and... posted by quikz on July 31, 2017 at 04:05 PM

Message Water pump is hit and miss if you don't go OEM. There is an actual design difference in some of the aftermarket pumps not just overall quality. The OEM pumps have a casting flange on the snout that retains the bearing cartridge. Some of the aftermarket bearings are retained only by a press fit and the powerful fan can pull the cartridge and impellor forward in the housing. This ends up with the impellor rubbing on the inside of the housing.

I'm currently running a Japanese built Autozone pump that is working fine. I've also had a Cardone pump last a full 60k miles. I had a Aisin pump which leaked right out of the box. It was built in Japan. A GMB pump is the one that pulled the bearing out. It's unfortunate about the casting since the bearing cartridge in the GMB was bigger than OEM.

I know most of you are OEM only but I have had problems with those parts also so I don't mind trying something else.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.