TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I believe the 2-pc rig balance verifies the 95% answer
People Seeking Info

Subject I believe the 2-pc rig balance verifies the 95% answer

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on July 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM
  This message has been viewed 249 times.

In Reply To That looks great and smooth in that set up in a shop. >> posted by ZUL8TR on July 22, 2017 at 04:10 AM

Message Yes, it's true the real test is in the car. Additional degrees of freedom like tolerances in the transmission and differential connections are relaxed and harmonics from the crank, clutch, and diff are introduced, but additional constraints like hard mounted mid-bearing and mis-aligned driveshaft pieces (due to suspension flexing) are re-imposed.

Also, because this is a 2-pc the exposure to modes influenced by material stiffness based harmonics is considerably less than a long 1-pc driveshaft of equivalent diameter. I think the net difference in harmonics from the balance rig would be negligible. Now that's based on my engineering fudgement and no experience. The guy at the shop did say vibration troubles are always hard to diagnose. I think my new 9-ft endoscope should help in this regard... if needed.

I always appreciate your feedback, Pete. Others reading this with first-hand experience balancing 2-pc shafts, I really hope you chime in!

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.