TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - There are a lot of things to consider when determining
People Seeking Info

Subject There are a lot of things to consider when determining

Posted by Zknowphobe on April 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 353 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: As Greg from SpecialtyZ has told me numerous times, posted by Bigmatthew86 on April 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Message placement and size of the transmission cooler: air flow across the heat exchanger, the heat soaking effect of components in close proximity, the heat load from the transmission due to HP, and now the added heat from line locking to hold higher RPMs.

Greg has strongly suggested mounting the transmission cooler at the aft end of the car, behind the differential. This is because of an already competing group of cooling components at the front of the car, i.e. oil cooler, a/c condenser, and radiator.

My Transmission Cooler Install

That's how I ended up mounting the cooler and fan. Here's what I'm using based on Greg's recommendation:

B&M 70298 Hi-Tek SuperCooler Oil Cooler with Fan
B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit

I used A/N lines between the cooler, filter kit, and the transmission and ran the lines inside the driveshaft tunnel. I also added a temperature sender at the outlet of the transmission and a corresponding gauge in the cabin to monitor the most critical temperature. I don't have a current picture of the install with the filter kit and lines, but I may be able to conjure one up for you this weekend if need be.

Here's SpecialtyZ's install in the same position (scroll down to Jesse's Z32 Build):

SZ Transmission Cooler Install

As an added note, since I purchased both my torque converter and my transmission from SpecialtyZ, built for 550HP, I was required to install this equipment in order to warranty the drivetrain. Based on your profile, I don't think you'll be pushing the transmission as hard as my setup, but at the minimum I would at least install a temperature gauge so you can deactivate the line lock feature if your temps climb up above the 140F mark. Don't quote me exactly on that temperature, but I know it's around there somewhere.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.