TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Would a difference of 16 HV be in the noise?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Would a difference of 16 HV be in the noise?

Posted by Kvert on March 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM
  This message has been viewed 244 times.

In Reply To Would a difference of 16 HV be in the noise? posted by Schmeal (NV) on March 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Message I would say so since its only a 3% difference. I do agree that multiple samples and measurement points would be useful for a more statistical conclusion.

Given that the FSM only lists a 0.25mm oversized option, I'd guess that Nissan felt confident that the crank being turned that much is acceptable and doesn't impact reliability for the stock application. The visual morphology seems to support that in the images.

The only concern I'd have is with sample prep. Mechanical cutting can cause a smearing of material over the cut region resulting in a deformed profile. I've been burned by this a number of time looking at electroplated films, but in those cases the materials were softer and thickness were <100nm. Also, how much does the press affect the profile distortion.

If you want, I can toss a sample in the electron microscope at work and do an EDS profile measurement to map the nitrogen content. The nitrogen levels should be well above the equipment's detection resolution.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.