TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I really liked the Type III Stillen skirts and fillers
People Seeking Info

Subject I really liked the Type III Stillen skirts and fillers

Posted by DAYTONAZ on February 22, 2017 at 8:51 PM
  This message has been viewed 593 times.

In Reply To Opinion on Ionic Dynamic vs Stillen Skirts? posted by ZXoltan on February 22, 2017 at 05:05 PM

Message but I wanted something a tad different than Stillen or Wings West this time. The Stillen and WW urethane attaches with 2 sided tape top and bottom and usually some screws across the bottom. Urethane is forgiving and since it's injection moulded it's usually a better fit as it contours to any irregularities.

The fiberglass is also moulded but from a one sided lay-up. Then it's trimmed to a very close match. The skirts were very close and a great fit but required a little sanding and shaping to make it lay in laser smooth to the body. That's to be expected with a fiberglass part that will mount against a surface.

On my red 90TT I had the WW kit and still had to sand an edge here and there along the urethane to make it butt up without gaps. Then I used an automotive seam sealer/adhesive much like a caulking to blend the gaps.

On the fiberglass skirts I will do the same. The advantage to a fiberglass part is the rigidity along the length of the skirt. Once I blended the upper edges and corners to match the body it held up nicely to the body. Then once the screws were set it was rock solid and wont require any adhesive for support. I do plan to fair the upper edges for a blended look but only enough to make the line between part and body not noticeable.

The wing on the Red 90TT above was an Ionic Dynamics product and fit absolutely perfect without the need to do anything but adhere it in place. I used body adhesive and then pulled it in tight with fasteners.
I also used their slotted nose panel on the 90 which I modified back then. I still like the look of the nose panel and may do it to the black 94TT. We'll see.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.