TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - So, just a few things to consider ------------->
People Seeking Info

Subject So, just a few things to consider ------------->

Posted by Milo (Nismo Fiesta) on February 21, 2017 at 7:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 681 times.

In Reply To Cast aluminum VG engine block - Who's interested? posted by LitlElvis on February 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Message First off -
Understand I am not trying to spit on the project but more of offering solutions that would be for the greater good. Considering how many blown motors I have taken apart and how many I have seen make impressive and RELIABLE power, I would like to think maybe I can speak to this. Also, you have to consider that you are almost re-engineering a near perfect platform within a certain power range. Understand that if we are talking all out, 1300hp+ dyno queen with money is no object funding, then I think those parties operate on a different level anyways and anything I say from this point is pointless.

1) Thicker main webbing - the main webbing is pretty stout as it is. If you plan to run something like ARP consider they typically won't carry an off the shelf application for this. So a buy in for this as a custom ARP setup would be needed, think pricing on this is averaged around $15k-$20k to get done. This will be essential if you plan on going this route unless you have a more cost effective option.

2) 1045 Steel Main Caps - Good choice on the material. I have been harping about these on VG applications for some time. I do believe these are already engineered for the stock iron block VG30 and are available now.
* see Lazcano Racing 1,300hp VG30DETT, EP Racing 1045 Steel main caps.

3) Darton Sleeves - Actually a fan of Darton sleeves but I do feel there are a LOT of variables here that will need to be considered as ultimately you are re-engineering a portion if not portions of the inner workings of the basic design.

4) Skirted End Link - To run a skirted block, you need to increase deck height. No you have an issue with pickup tube, capacity for oil is changed, a new oil pan... just off the top of my head. I think you will be up against way more that you are thinking for this.

5) Aluminum block - Stress analysis, stress analysis, stress analysis. I feel billet, although a lot more expensive, is the only way to go for this motor. If considering going with aluminum block simply because the VR38 using this material, you have to look at the mountains of data and testing done to that platform to get it to what it is. I have had my hands on a few VR38's and it's an impressive motor but there is SO MUCH innovation that is in that motor.

Understand, I actually would love to see this happen. I don't feel there was a lack of power for the VG30DETT to begin with but if there is enough guys out there wanting to push beyond 1500+hp then let's all work together to get this done. But I think we as a community and a like-minded community of fairly intelligent engineering minds that have been eating and drinking VG30 platforms for the last 10 years can continue to try to develop this already amazing platform.

But, I applaud you Brett for thinking outside the box and considering the reach for the stars. Again my intent is not to stir up trouble. I merely am heading caution. I have been around long enough to see things come and go with fortunes lost for individuals as well. I just don't think this will be what you are expecting. But I do hope you prove me wrong. Best of luck, sir.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.