TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: Cast aluminum VG engine block - Who's interested?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: Cast aluminum VG engine block - Who's interested?

Posted by LitlElvis on February 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 505 times.

In Reply To Re: Cast aluminum VG engine block - Who's interested? posted by ExtraTitanian on February 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Message What are some of the advantages of remaining with this platform rather than moving to another? I know a bunch of people have bought up newer, higher motors that might not fit so well. With a better bottom end, do you think the VG would be able to compete with some of these newer engines on better terms?

The aftermarket support for the Z32/VG is already really impressive if compared to other more mainstream platforms, and I think this is the main reason for sticking with a VG. Sure, the newer engines utilize current technologies but I'm quite certain they all have been structurally designed to be as light as possible and while their as delivered power numbers look impressive, I am also certain they were not designed in anticipation of handling double or triple the stock HP levels for an extended period of time... very much like the VG wasn't. Until someone takes the time to adapt one of these newer engines under the hood of a Z32 and invest $$$ to bring the adapter kit to market, the VG is the obvious choice with all of the supporting power parts already available for it. Maybe I'm just stubborn?

Also, do you think the current heads would be able to handle the increased power loads? Or would they become the new restriction to big numbers, potentially resulting in a redesign themselves?

I'm sure the OE heads have some structural limit with respect to the cylinder pressure required to meet massive HP goals but as far as I know no one has found that limit yet. "IF" I can get this block off the ground, I do intend to look at doing cylinder heads later on with thicker decks, larger valve capability, improved combustion chamber design, moved oil galleries to allow higher lift cams...

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.