TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Jag cost 2.5 times the Z, but it's not twice as good.
People Seeking Info

Subject Jag cost 2.5 times the Z, but it's not twice as good.

Posted by Gordo 93TT Daytona on February 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM
  This message has been viewed 453 times.

In Reply To Nice. I've been looking at these too. How does it feel posted by RoidRage76 on February 18, 2017 at 05:43 PM

Message - Power: Z was StgIII+ so maybe 360 hp at the flywheel. While at 510 hp, the Jag has much more power and lower in the rev band w/o the turbo lag. Also Jag has much more torque, so the car feels more responsive at all speeds than the Z. The Jag is a bigger car and probably 300 lbs heavier; however, that being said, it is overall much quicker in all respects than the Z. It literally pulls like a freight train.

- ride comfort: I kept the Z's stock suspension (TT riding on NA springs w/ adj TT shocks) so it rode very well with minimum road noise, vibrations or harshness. The Jag is more tightly sprung than one might expect from an expensive GT. (The non-supercharged XKs are 20% softer) However, it soaks up the rough spots amazingly well b/c of the very stiff aluminium bonded chassis coupled with the computer's active suspension. Overall, I'd say the ride quality was pretty similar; but the Jag feels more 'solid' over bad pavement as would any $100K five year old car compared to a twenty five year old one. And you can tell its a bigger, heavier, car; but it seems to act like a smaller lighter one when pressed to do so.

- handling: Pretty close here also. However, again, the active suspension, and fine tuning of more modern suspension geometries coupled with much more rubber on the road (245/17 & 27s/17 versus 255/20 & 285/20) provides much more grip for the Jaguar. I always felt the power steering on the Z was a little overwhelmed by the bigger than stock front tires' contact patch. (225 vs 245). Turn in on the Jag is phenomenal. It's very neutral throughout the corner; where the Z would start to push reaching the limit, then oversteer if given too much power. The Jag just wants to carve all the way through the apex and out the other side. But again, one should expect a much newer, and technically more sophisticated drive train and chassis would have the advantage over the Z. That being said, I am certain there are many Z's here on TT.net that would put the XKR to shame on a full bore road course. The Jag is a big GT cruiser and it loves to stretch it's legs on the interstate at autobahn speeds.

- noise level: The Z had extra sound insulation everywhere I could put it... but the Jag is still much more isolated from exterior noise. Heck the doors have TRIPLE rubber seals. However, I was surprised that tire noise was unexpectedly high in the Jag. I'm thinking maybe the Michelin Pilot Sports were getting old. Dunno. But the highway cruise road noise level was not that much lower than the Z w/ a Borla aftermarket. Also everyone noted how the Jaguar's exhaust sound is not in keeping with their past image of quiet refinement. At startup and idle it actually sounds more like a small block chevy w/ a Magnaflow: and when the active exhaust valves open under load it has a throaty, almost hotrod-like, exhaust note.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.