TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - AshSpec vs MS manifolds - side by side comparo
People Seeking Info

Subject AshSpec vs MS manifolds - side by side comparo

Posted by ConVerTT on January 29, 2017 at 11:33 AM
  This message has been viewed 2249 times.

Message So I picked up a set of AshSpec low profile manifolds directly from Ash on his Black Friday sale. Ash agreed to COD, which actually worked out fairly well.

At the same time the AmateurZ crew had already submitted our "fall purchase order" to SpecialtyZ for our winter projects. Long story short - I also ended up with a set of NIB MS manis, so we can do a side by side pictorial.

So for starters: What's in the box?

AshSpec

Mike Smith

As you can see, the Mike Smith kit provides fresh hardware and gaskets required to complete the install, and has the mounting studs pre-installed on the flange. The AshSpec kit did not include any mounting hardware or gaskets.

The Ashpec kit does come with a very cool set of thermal blankets (pun intended) - more on those later. The MS kit reuses the heat stock shields.

Next: side by side ( or head to head, get it? LOL)

So ...two very different designs. I am not an expert by any means but I will make a few observations. Feel free to chime in if you see it differently.

The MS design is certainly more in line with the log style design of the OEM manifolds. The exhaust primaries are common (ie. not separated by cylinder) leading to a relatively compact design and efficient heat retention. The AshSpec primaries are at least partially (if not fully) seperated and collect just prior to the turbo flange. This design is less compact than the MS, but in theory should flow better and be less susceptible to flow reversion. In theory the AshSpec would be less efficient at heat retention than a more compact design, (hence the blankets?).

I did notice something interesting: While the AshSpec manis are volumetrically quite a bit larger than the MS manis, the AshSpecs appeared to be noticeably lighter. So I weighed them:

Interesting - despite being larger, the AshSpec is almost a pound lighter. So I am not sure what make of this. Different iron composition? Is it the bosses on the MS kit? Any metallurgists in the crowd?

Anyways, that's it for this morning. Next up: let's take a closer look at those blankets, and test fit the AshSpec manifolds ....

ConVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (black)
XtraVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (glacier white)
SlickTTop - 96 OBD1 TT Slicktop (black)
Old Yeller - 90 Slicktop NA (PGY)

And their hot Asian Cousin - 01 Acura NSX NA

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.