TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Flex fuel sensor issues
People Seeking Info

Subject Flex fuel sensor issues

Posted by Zvil (FL) on January 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM
  This message has been viewed 558 times.

Message I went to the drag strip last Friday, I trapped 129+ mph but to my pleasant surprise I discovered an issue with my flex fuel sensor. The reason I say pleasant surprise is because the car has more in it :)

Short read:
(problem) my flex fuel sensor is installed directly off the stock engine fuel return line and dries out after about 70% injector duty cycle on flat out pulls.
(temporary solution)
-intentionally leave a kink/ loop/ uphill in the return line after the FFS (the problem went away).
(long term solution)
-install the FFS downhill of the return line on the gas tank OR before the pressure regulator.

Long read:

The issue presented itself in the form of my target boost dropping at the end of my run (top of 3rd and 4th gear) my only correction tables for target boost was by gear, TPS, injector duty cycle and fuel composition.

-TPS was pegged for the logged portion of the run (anytime I'm over 5 psi) injector duty cycle stayed under
-Full boost is applied from 3rd gear up
-Injector duty cycle over 95% cuts boost, but I never exceeded 90%
-Fuel composition adds up to 2 psi up to 35% ethanol content.

Since target boost was dropping I decided to log my fuel composition and found that after about 70% injector duty cycle the composition reading was all over the place between 6-32% (32% was normal)

I estimate maybe a 2-3 mph increase if I don't lift at all (no tire spin) and I run full boost in all gears AND no drop in boost/timing in 3rd and 4th due to the FFS misreading but I must first address my traction issues. :D

(discussion on ptu relocation)
"No good reason to put it there anyway. -Bernie (NoVA)
False -vorpalZ
False. -Bernie (NoVA)
You're correct, there are 3 good reasons -vorpalZ
False. -Bernie (NoVA)
Wow, right again, just remembered another, make that 4 -vorpalZ"
XD

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.