TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Ditched the 50 shades of Aztec Red
People Seeking Info

Subject Ditched the 50 shades of Aztec Red

Posted by iceman601 on June 11, 2016 at 2:46 AM
  This message has been viewed 1776 times.

Message After 25 years, the paint was starting to be in pretty rough shape. I cashed in a few favors and pulled some strings to have it painted within budget and time. The shop wasn't too busy and could get it done in a week, so I jumped on the opportunity. I stripped everything at home, by myself. Started off with removing all Stillen parts, wheels, and the interior. I stripped it down to being barely road legal, as I still have to drive it to the shop to dropoff. Got to the shop an hour and half before opening and stripped the rest in their parking lot. Swapped out the Recaros, took out all the lights, and loosened up the front and rear bumpers.

First thing I did was removed the vinyl wrap I put on a few years back to cover up sun burnt slicktop.

Wing, Stillen kit, and wheels were next.

Rear hatch and trunk panels.

The important parts are off.

Front windshield molding was beyond dried out. Will be replaced with an aftermarket seal.

Made sure the last roof molding clip wasn't broken.

Also managed to pry out the rear upper windshield molding end caps. Rear hatch will also get new aftermarket molding....slightly bigger/thicker than OEM but that is fine with me. This was the absolute worst part....took me 3 hours and dozens of razor blades to cut out the old dry rotted seal.

Pulled up to the shop and starting stripping her some more.

An hour later.

All the dings and dents marked and will be addressed.

Body work is completed

Getting ready to primer.

All masked up and in the booth.

Primer.

Getting prepped for the paint.

Fresh paint!!.....Primer, Special base coat, Color coat, and clear coat.

This was taken the following morning.

Disassembled the door handles, fixed it from rubbing. Blasted them with paint remover after to lessen the chance of it rubbing with additional paint.

Rest of the items being painted.

Handle being reassembled.

Done, straight, and good as new.

Had the rear bumper lower rock guard shaved to better match the Stillen kit.

All primered.

Also had the cowl taken care of.

Good enough for now.

Out of the paint booth and awaiting tow truck.

Was ecstatic at this point.

On the way home.

A week after paint.

Now, I just need to find time to put everything back for a final color sand to take care of the orange peel.

Engine bay will be painted once the current motor is yanked out for this.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.