TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I went the epoxy route
People Seeking Info

Subject I went the epoxy route

Posted by shiers69 on December 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM
  This message has been viewed 1506 times.

In Reply To Garage Flooring - for the Z posted by FrozTTy on December 29, 2015 at 09:52 AM

Message The stuff I used came from epoxy-coat.com.

Prep is key.

When my house was built I specifically asked them not to seal the concrete in the garage because I knew I was going to put down epoxy. The message didn't get through to the concrete guys though so some work had to be done.

The kits sold at epoxy-coat.com come with acid can be used to acid-etch the concrete, but due to my sealer I wanted to go with something a bit more powerful. I considered meuratic acid but that stuff is pretty dangerous. I eventually rented a floor grinder from home depot. After trying for two days home depot grinder I discovered that my concrete was just too hard for that so I finally hired it out. It cost me $500 to hire it out but his equipment actually worked where the home depot rental was getting me nowhere.

The epoxy itself is easy to apply. It helps to have a 2nd set of hands due to the set-up time of the product. I opted to do a clear coat as well but skipped the UV stabilizer so I expect my grey floor will go slightly yellowish in time, but it shouldn't be that noticeable.

Wear a hair net when applying. If you coat any vertical surfaces, keep rolling them over and over. The epoxy will run significantly before it hardens completely. Use the flecks to hide any future nicks to the epoxy. Don't weld or plasma cut on it without a welding blanket - I've got some nice rust specs in my epoxy floor now from that.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.