TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - PSA for those with water/meth injection.
People Seeking Info

Subject PSA for those with water/meth injection.

Posted by xpwarrior on December 23, 2015 at 9:12 AM
  This message has been viewed 504 times.

Message I had my car with the back end up on ramps for a couple of days while I was installing a Quaife diff. When done I happened to pop the hatch where my meth tank is and noticed it was nearly empty. WTH it was nearly full when I parked it! I checked around the pump, tank and all lines and didn't find a leak. Looked under the car and no puddle. Thought crap that means it must have went into the intake pipes.

Pulled the intake plumbing and had 2 turbos full of fluid. After some work with a shop vac and a long hose I got all of that sucked out and thought I was lucky since none of it could have got into the intake manifold or engine. Pulled the dipstick just to make sure and the oil looked normal. Started it up and had my daughter drive it around the block and everything was good.

About an hour later I'm sitting at the computer and thought I didn't suck a gallon of fluid out of the turbos and that was about how much was missing. Had a major oh crap moment and thought the compressor seal on the turbo is more of an oil slinger and that's not going to stop a methanol/water and from there it goes straight into the oil cavity and then down to the oil pan. Went back out and pulled that oil drain plug enough to let a little out and it looked like chocolate milk. I had found the rest of the water! I doesn't appear to have hurt anything and the Mobil 1 did it's job. A couple of quick oil changes and it's all cleaned out.

This was all caused by a Devil's Own injection check valve that didn't seal. After taking it apart I found it works by forcing a mushroom shaped rubber stopper against a hole. It didn't have a spring to hold it shut and evidently just squishes it out of the way under pressure. It's been replaced by a nice spring loaded SS unit. If I ever have to leave the Z face down/ass up again I will also disconnect and plug the meth line.

The appears to have been leaking for several months because I have parked it nose down on a hill before for short periods of time. When started it would miss for a few second until it cleared out.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.