TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Whoa, check yourself there. You mentioned rust.
People Seeking Info

Subject Whoa, check yourself there. You mentioned rust.

Posted by Goldchocobo on December 06, 2015 at 4:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 316 times.

In Reply To Buying a z thats been sitting for a while posted by Muffinz on December 05, 2015 at 02:17 PM

Message When you say "spot of rust on the floor", what you mean is, "only one spot of rust under the floor that I've found SO FAR".

Rule of thumb is you take the amount of rust you see, and multiply it by 3. That's the real amount of rust that will be found after grinding away and removing the carpets/sound deadening. What happens is once water gets underneath the rubber sheet attached to the carpet, it works itself underneath the sound deadening and never evaporates. It just starts eating away at metal.

Don't kid yourself here. I just finished completely stripping a Z's interior, cutting out multiple rusted pans, and welding patches in. This includes removing over 60 spot welds, and re-welding them back in. I'd rather rebuild an engine than go through that again.

Not trying to be a downer, but please be as pessimistic as possible when approaching rust. If you see one little bit, odds are, there's a lot more to be found.

When you see the car, ask the owner if you can lift the carpet as much as you can to get a good look at the floorpans.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.