TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - So in TX, they don't use rollers. I guess they just test
People Seeking Info

Subject So in TX, they don't use rollers. I guess they just test

Posted by WhiTTe Z on September 28, 2015 at 10:43 AM
  This message has been viewed 553 times.

In Reply To As BlackholeZ said, the CATs need to be hot. Drive it posted by ZXRider on September 28, 2015 at 08:52 AM

Message the car with no load. Once at idle and once at slightly higher revs. The one I failed was the idle test (low speed). I'm new to TX so this is my first time going through this. It's only a couple counties in the state that do emissions testing, unfortunately I am in one of them. In a couple years I'll be exempt, but until then...

Per the Texas DMV website:

"Two Speed Idle Test
The Two-Speed Idle test is a tailpipe emissions test. This means the analyzer measures exhaust emissions directly from the vehicle's tailpipe with the engine idling at a high and then low speed. TSI measures most of the common factors contributing to the formation of lung damaging ground level ozone.

A vehicle will fail the test if there are excessive amounts of hydrocarbons or carbon monoxide. TSI is used for older vehicles that are not equipped with the advanced on-board diagnostic computer system."

I will try going in hot, but I think I may run into an issue of high CO regardless, because of a rich air fuel ratio. I am running an off the shelf EPROM from SZ, but meant for test pipes, not stock cats... can't hook the wideband up because no bung on the stock midpipes. If I do fail again, do you think it's worth having SZ burn me a new chip or maybe I can cause a vacuum leak prior to the test to lean out the mixture? I realize how dumb and sketchy that sounds, but I would like to be able to get plates on my car.

"Stance: cuz goin fast cost money yo (n/m) - ZiNnYc
08/09/12 18:23:42"

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.