TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Synapse Engineering No Drone Resonators Installed
People Seeking Info

Subject Synapse Engineering No Drone Resonators Installed

Posted by Drk93TT on August 04, 2015 at 9:04 PM
  This message has been viewed 3122 times.

Message So my last journey to pittsburgh a few weeks ago to the PVGP car show was the straw that broke the camels back. My exhaust drone has been driving me absolutely insane on the highway. ( cruising speeds 70mph @ about 2900rpm ) also 4th gear at 45mph made my head want to explode. but that was remedied by downshifting to 3rd.

So I purchased 2x of the 18" stainless "no drone" branch resonators (helmholtz resonators) from Synapse Engineering. They are egg shaped to be welded to a 3" exhaust pipe and the other end is just a closed welded shut end.

Now the installation instructions say to install them as FAR FORWARD AS POSSIBLE to maximize the effectivity. Wellll.. I did a lot of trial fitments and couldn't get the things any farther up than where I put them. (just before the mufflers) I was hoping to strap them to the test pipes.. No luck. not enough clearance on the RH side in my case. It would have rattled on the body/scraped bad over low bumps.

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.52.18 PM_zpsotb2j5rr.png

I removed the muffler sections and drilled the holes with 2 new hole saws made for cutting stainless steel (or so they claimed they were both useless after this endeavor with 304SS) A bit of cutting oil went a long way on the second hole that was drilled and went a LOT quicker than the first....

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.49.23 PM_zpsfs5iu2ws.png

I didn't have them weld the back of the resonator pipes to the mufflers... just incase I ever want to get rid of these I can just have the holes welded shut on the pipes.. and cut out the resonators and sell them or something.

I will be removing the gaskets from the front and replacing them with new gaskets and re-aligning the exhaust tips on a hoist soon. Just wanted to put it together quickly and take for a drive this evening.
 photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.47.45 PM_zps4tb6yenp.png
 photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.48.22 PM_zpsyqgwft5r.png

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.48.16 PM_zps0sag1lcg.png

photo Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 9.48.31 PM_zps1mt5oha0.png

Overall Im pretty happy with the results. Might bend up the passenger side resonator a bit with a torch to make it a little more even as they are a bit uneven.. if anyone even notices they are there that is.

I don't feel any performance decrease on acceleration... but do notice its a bit quieter on decal and idling for sure a bit more tame / deeper exhaust note. Figured Id share !

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.