TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yes...
People Seeking Info

Subject Yes...

Posted by kenecchi on July 28, 2015 at 8:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 393 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: RB26 Swap posted by Mizzuh on July 28, 2015 at 07:19 PM

Message [ http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_300zx+RB+SWAP ]

There was also a (probably higher quality and cost) swap kit from a company called Speed and Sound some years ago, but I'm not sure whether they're still selling them or not.

I used to DD a mostly stock Z and now I DD a mostly stock RB26 swapped Silvia, and stock for stock, the power delivery is quite different. The RB has a little bit more lag; it needs to be worked harder to get anything out of it. The VG definitely has more torque and it feels like boost comes on at a lower RPM, plus it has variable valve timing and is probably easier to tune to get it to make power and be civil at the same time.

You'll also have a lot of problems with cooling as you'll have to use an electric fan setup because of a lack of space, and there really aren't any electric fan/radiator combinations out there that work as well as the stock clutch fan.

Not that I'm saying don't do it, it will make a great conversation piece, but as something to drive you're probably better off with the VG. If you're just looking for a challenge and you're planning on modifying the engine for higher power, an (expensive) HKS V-Cam setup and a single turbo would make a great street setup for an RB26.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.