TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Ironically, Progressive Ins already has a method for
People Seeking Info

Subject Ironically, Progressive Ins already has a method for

Posted by ForceFedTT (SoCal) on July 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 419 times.

In Reply To I wonder if it has to do with the fact that... posted by -Grimm- on July 24, 2015 at 09:27 AM

Message accurately determining the actual amount of time the vehicle is driven by the policy holder and the actual driving behavior of the policy holder: they own this patent: Proggressive Insurance patent

I stumbled across this patent about 10yrs ago when I was thinking of this idea myself. Looks like these inventors were already thinking about it 7yrs earlier.

I wonder why Progressive hasn't implemented this technology yet? IMO, they bought the patent to squat on it because the conventional method for setting their insurance rates is more profitable. Anybody else have any ideas for why Progressive doesn't use this tech that they own??

Here's a relevant paragraph of the technology's main benefit:

"One benefit obtained by use of the present invention is a system that will provide precise and timely information about the current operation of an insured motor vehicle that will enable an accurate determination of operating characteristics, including such features as miles driven, time of use and speed of the vehicle. This information can be used to establish actual usage based insurance charges, eliminating rating errors that are prevalent in traditional systems and will result in vehicle insurance charges that can be directly controlled by individual operators."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.