TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - There are plenty of accommodations to varying ethanol
People Seeking Info

Subject There are plenty of accommodations to varying ethanol

Posted by bartz32tt on June 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  This message has been viewed 457 times.

In Reply To e85 isn't reliably available everywhere. The ethanol posted by flashstar on June 22, 2015 at 02:55 AM

Message content. Retain stock ECU and use a $350 SZ map switcher, buy a $150 ethanol content gauge. Or buy an ethanol content sensor and any ecu/software that automatically adjusts fuel/ignition tables depending on ethanol content. Even Nistune does this now.

However, you may find true ethanol content in your area to be more consistent/favorable than you suspect. I don't doubt that wrist pin damage could occur with detonation - that's not my point. My point is that avoiding detonation with a 10.5 CR is easily done with E85 and a good tune. E85 is the key. It is so forgiving that you can tune to +-5% ethanol content. That is how Specialty Z sells their map switcher - by going in increments of 10% because the stuff is so knock-resistent; quite a bit of safety margin. In most (if not all) cases, ethanol content cannot be sold below 70% for e85 - it's even advertised at the pump like this. Many places are well above this minimum to stay compliant. Even at 70% ethanol, it's still a much better fuel than 93/94 octane (I believe around 99 octane with the added benefit of cooler intake temps), as proven by numerous dyno comparisons on numerous platforms.

I understand your rationale for not boosting a high-mileage NA block. Just providing clarification to your statement that it is generally unsafe to boost a high-compression block due to detonation/wrist pin failure.

________________Sig Separator________________________

Selling used ACT full-face sprung clutch kit: $300 + shipping ConUS!

Chrome "boost" hardpipes and couplers/clamps $100 + shipping

Twin Turbo aluminum front calipers: $200 + shipping. Needs paint or will paint red for additional $50

Parting out my entire 1990 twin turbo! Please email me for needed parts!
See profile for my WTB/WTT list as well.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.