TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - But have you completely isolated the mild cams?
People Seeking Info

Subject But have you completely isolated the mild cams?

Posted by flashstar on June 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 561 times.

In Reply To My 2 cents posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on June 21, 2015 at 01:10 PM

Message Misinformation and assumptions do spread like a weed unfortunately.

The mild cams are designed to be used with oem (or upgraded) valve springs. They're designed as an inexpensive, drop in upgrade, according to JWT. I'd wager that many people with mild cams are installing them in used stock heads.

Have you tried using new OEM valve springs with the mild cams? Upgraded valve springs?

Have you tried using new valve guides and valves?

Have you experimented with solid lifters to rule out hydraulic lifters as a potential issue?

Great tuning information! But concluding that the cams are a problem without definitively ruling out all other factors is a step too far in my opinion. The VTC release was just one conjecture. I found the thought amusing (and scary) too! ;) Point being that it could still be related to numerous other factors that you haven't controlled for.

On the head issue. Have you tested ported NA heads against ported (but not welded) TT heads? It could well be that ported NA heads outperform ported TT heads due to their superior short side radius.

Greg, I don't have anything against you. Your work for the community is priceless. I'm just naturally (and justifiably) careful when my money is involved.

Getting involved in z32 engines more recently allows me to begin with a somewhat blank slate. When I was focusing on suspension, I had a brand new coilover commissioned and custom-valved for my Z. I also designed and built a custom audio system with the help of the DIYaudio community. Each time, I've been very happy with the outcome. Each time, I had to deal with all of the haters. I'm taking the same approach to these heads.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.