TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - More thoughts ....
People Seeking Info

Subject More thoughts ....

Posted by ConVerTT on June 21, 2015 at 12:45 AM
  This message has been viewed 546 times.

In Reply To What? I'm not surprised by the misinformation out there posted by flashstar on June 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Message Nissan made a lot of bad economic decisions in the 90s. That is why they almost went bankrupt. So, while I understand the "they must have spent money for a reason" argument, you need be careful about jumping to conclusions. (for example: why two different radiators? Surely the engineers would have known that the narrower TT radiator would have worked fine in the NA?)

1. Forced induction does increase the stress on many internal engine components. Just not the wrist pins - that is my point. (that is an engineering fact - not my opinion)

2. I have run both NA blocks with multiple configurations of turbos and breather mods. We have had SpecialtyZ fly up here several times. They did the tunes (both cars, various configs, different years) and so we have a pretty good set of data on both cars, again with multiple different setups. After comparing actual data collected on the dyno, Greg (not me) drew the conclusion that the bottleneck was in the NA heads (on my particular car).

3. You would use the 30p heads every time? How many times is that exactly? And who are your experts? I must admit that I am curious as to your claim - especially since my next logical step would be to replace the 30p heads at this point. (and to my earlier point on jumping to conclusions: if you are correct then why did those Nissan engineers spend all that extra time and money designing the inferior head for the higher performance version? Seems illogical).

4. Probably will never get one of them to 150k ....

5. Flogging example: 96 laps at Oregon Raceway Park (road course) over two consecutive days - that's 220.8 miles driving the car as hard as my skill level allowed. I believe that is substantially more than CarlM put on his car before blowing it up. Maybe I was lucky? Maybe his rough tune wasn't very good?

6. If you are a good as you say you are, then you obviously must know that you can bypass the interface and edit the hex file directly. Anyways that isn't even the point: successfully running the program and successfully acheiving a good tune are two very different things with the latter being much more difficult than the former, (which is why I took my cars to Greg and Seb).

So ...That is a subset of my actual experience for your review. Believe it or dont.

Finally...to quote Greg after one of our tuning sessions..."...run's fine..."

ConVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (black)
XtraVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (glacier white)
SlickTTop - 96 OBD1 TT Slicktop (black)
Old Yeller - 90 Slicktop NA (PGY)

And their hot Asian Cousin - 01 Acura NSX NA

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.