TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - What? I'm not surprised by the misinformation out there
People Seeking Info

Subject What? I'm not surprised by the misinformation out there

Posted by flashstar on June 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 562 times.

In Reply To False x 3 posted by ConVerTT on June 20, 2015 at 05:58 PM

Message Nissan designed everything in our cars for a reason, given the constraints at the time. If they could have simply used a J30/NA engine and added turbos reliably, they would have done so. It would have made everything cheaper. Someone in engineering decided to reinforce the TT pistons, TT wrist pins, TT exhaust valves, etc.

1. Prove to me you are 100% correct on boost and wrist pin damage. It's impossible to completely discount the possibility. Forced induction increases stress on many moving parts of an engine. As a guy who builds economic models, I understand that it's impossible to model for every factor. We do know one thing- Nissan reinforced the TT wrist pins at an extra cost.

2. NA heads are hardly a bottleneck (especially when ported). TT flow numbers may be a little greater but the NA heads' short side radius is more gradual and superior to the TT heads. Air will tend to detach from the wall of the short side radius on TT heads. I purchased a set of 48p's, then compared them to my 30p's and confirmed with multiple experts. The 40p/48p short side radius is crap. I would use a set of ported 30p's over ported 40p's/48p's every time.

3. Everyone gets lucky occasionally. Let me know when you get around 150,000+ miles on those engines. If you're wealthy enough, maybe you can donate 4-5 "Hi compression" TT engines for some failure testing.

4. Again, either you're a lucky dude or your definition of "flogging" is different than mine. ;) In all seriousness though, I hate engines that produce a hump of power in the lower end of the rpm band. I would boost the red line as much as possible with my dream TT build and I would live there. My desire is to hit 7800 rpm. The last time I made it to Branson, I blew out my 20,000 mile TT auto transmission (with external oil cooler and fresh Mobil 1 ATF). Good excuse to swap in a MT. I hardly dropped below 4000 rpm for an hour. I drive my car and bike like I stole them, then maintain them to keep em performing. My mechanical work is meticulous.

5. My profession is in IT. I deploy servers, write programs, etc. all of the time. I built a rough tune with larger injectors in 10 minutes. Nistune is easy for me. I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass the interface and just edit the hex values? Would probably be faster.

To get back on topic, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I'll stick with an OEM belt and save some money.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.