TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - No planes anymore, got into engineering
People Seeking Info

Subject No planes anymore, got into engineering

Posted by BlackholeZ on June 11, 2015 at 10:56 PM
  This message has been viewed 355 times.

In Reply To Re: I had over 10k into it including purchase posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 11, 2015 at 06:13 PM

Message I was doing turbine overhauls on G2-3-4s but moved back to CA and got into Unmanned Vehicle Engineering. Currently back in school for Mechanical, working for myself as a mechanic.

Part of the reason my Z is running is because I learned my lesson the hard way, and quickly. Bought the Z, it broke down 5 hours from home. Got it back, saved for a salvage motor to put in it. Had it installed, timing belt slipped, on my birthday. Heads redone, got 500 miles in, seized the motor. Turns out the oil pan was dented. Sat for another year until a friend bought a wrecked Z and offered me the engine to help him with his car.
I did everything to that motor to get it ready to go in, 120k, all seals and gaskets, everything. The motor had 160k on it though, and it was obvious it had been driven hard. I got ~40k out of it before I started hearing bearing rattle, and did my TT swap. I used used turbos, knowing full well I'd have to replace them. A year later I got new center housings, pulled the engine and rebuilt the turbos in a weekend.

It really helps being able to do all the work myself. If it weren't for TT.net though I would have had to give up on the car years ago. It's been 9 years since I've "taken it to a mechanic" and I've saved countless thousands of dollars doing my own labor. Sometimes it sucks though. My alternator died last winter, and I had to replace it myself. The Z has been my DD since '08, and I had class the next day. So I had no choice but to crawl under it and replace it. In the rain. And at night.

-Dan
VTC Solenoid Caps and install instructions.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" - ChristopherTheOne
" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.