TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - From everything Ive seen/heard/read
People Seeking Info

Subject From everything Ive seen/heard/read

Posted by Zsgetyoulaid on April 08, 2015 at 5:37 AM
  This message has been viewed 307 times.

In Reply To Your OP is condemning an entire brand because of one posted by Inzane on April 07, 2015 at 02:13 PM

Message the N55 engines dont have the HPFP issues. They stopped putting the N54 engines in their cars after 2009, although you can still get *some* 2010s with the N54 engine. Mine is a 2010 with the N54, but it was actually produced in November of 2009, so they thew in the N54 motor...its weird. But I retract.

Breakdown:
The N54 is Twin Turbo 3.0L I6. Has HPFP issues if you do maintenance by BMWs book. Can at the very least be mitigated by using good oil and more frequent oil changes (BMWs book comes out to be 15k miles per oil change). Other things worthy of note are some people have had issues with the injectors failing (I havent seen this on my car or any other BMW in person to date). ALSO, it seems to be very hit and miss with which N54 cars eat oil. Mine does, but its not terrible. Compression checks good, no leaks on any oil lines or anything like that...just seems to eat oil *shrug*. I think the oil consumption issues on some of the N54 engines is more cause for concern than the HPFP which seems to be easily mitigated.

The N55 is a SINGLE twin scroll turbo on a 3.0L I6. Easy way to tell is by looking on the engine cover. If its the single twin scroll turbo variant, it will say "Twin power" on it. From the factory it has the same power, and still makes peak tq at 1.2k rpms like the N54 does. There is ZERO difference from a performance standpoint in stock form in comparison to the N54 engine....until you tune/modify it. At that point, the N54 starts to come out on top. No HPFP issues on the N55.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.