TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - there's been lots of threads on this but..
People Seeking Info

Subject there's been lots of threads on this but..

Posted by Gromit on March 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM
  This message has been viewed 545 times.

In Reply To AKEBONO breaks all around or Front Stoptech? Your thoughts? posted by zxnazx(tt) on March 23, 2015 at 02:29 AM

Message I'm assuming you searched for 'Akebono' in the General Forum. You will find many threads containing discussion about these (some more, some less).

In addition to LJ's points, I will add my thoughts as I was considering the Akebonos for quite some time, I don't track my car, and I also got 18" wheels a while back.

Basically the biggest gripe about the Akebonos seems to be that they are heavy considering they are 14" and 13.8" 1-pc rotors and the calipers/pots are heavier than other 'real' BBKs. Yes, you can get 2-pc fronts to cut down that weight some, but I assume you know those aren't StopTech rotors.

Since I don't track my car, I just couldn't justify purchasing a real front and rear BBK when I could use that money on other upgrades. So I started looking at the other alternatives. A lot of guys run the 350Z track rotor (12.75") adapters on the front (with stock calipers) and really like it. The nice thing about this is that you can also run 2-pc StopTech rotors if you want.

As far as other options for the rear, a recent development in the last couple years is some rear adapters that let you run 13" (G37) rotors in the rear (with stock calipers). I am not aware of a StopTech 2-pc for this application but you can get StopTech 1-pc SportRotors that are a good match. The other nice thing about this is you are getting 13" for a hair less weight than the 11.7" stockers.

If you are interested in the rear adapters you need to jump on them as they are no longer made and vendors are probably running low on stock. CZP and HoustonZ sell them.

Good luck.

- G.

"ok dude YOU RULE at comparing arbitrary number valuations to the written word. You are the king." - Adam (NoVA) 04/27/11

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.