TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Twin Z Design! Prepping For Paint Thoughts Of material Pics
People Seeking Info

Subject Twin Z Design! Prepping For Paint Thoughts Of material Pics

Posted by zxnazx(tt) on March 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM
  This message has been viewed 1182 times.

Message Hello here is my 5 cents, this is just a general thoughts on the quality and the amount of work needed to properly prep the Twin Z Panels for paint.

Kaminari Side skirts/door fillers were used
Twin Z Side skirts look amazing when added to the Kaminari skirts
Twin z mud flaps rear bumper Flexible much more flexible than the bumper wish it was that flexible on the bumper material.
Twin z rear deck spoiler Version Two Great fitment, looks Great.

I recommend professional prep guy to prep all these as it needs more work than i anticipated to make them good.

Bumper front has lots of waves not as straight as i wanted it to be. The material after preliminary sending for the primer started to chip away in many areas almost like there are air bubble in between the layers. In many spots you can see through the fiber glass see through meaning there is ver little material in those spots and it was mainly in the corners lower end.
Essentially the material is fiber glass which is coated on top with some sort of primer base. The smell was awful from sending the upper layer, kept replacing the breathing masks a lot more than when sending normal 2k primer as the masks were getting clogged up faster.

I chose to have two front end bumpers just in case something happens to one or the other. Now seeing how fragile the front bumper is i am glad i will have a secondary bumper to fall on to.
Second bumper will be an Oem Facia with Stillen type 3 front lip ( great fitment, great quality of polyurethane, a lot easier to work with this material).

Kaminari side skirts and door fillers upon applying primer on them showed to be made out of better material than twin z, no pin holes from several coats of PPG ncp280 primer.

Nose panel after several coats had lots of pin holes which needed to be covered with extra layers of primer .

Front bumper was tough to primer as sides where side markers go and front lip area had lots and lots of pin holes crators which needed extra layers of primer or you could of used spot potty and then primer again. Lots of waviness on the exterior, needed to use a block and try to smooth it out. "did not like the material and quality of the bumper." Love The looks of it not the quality.

Rear spoiler was better much better, was more even straight .

Front Lip that attaches to the front Bumper is Very Flimsy ! Fragile i cant even imagine how fast it will be destroyed if you hit a curb or driving out wont go side ways and hit the road.
Not very happy how flimsy it is.

After 3 to 4 good layers of primer then sanded all down and found some remaining pin holes, so second time i applied 2 more wet coats of primer and turned out to be very nice. Sanded down with 400 grade and when all is ready to be painted will sand down 600 and paint it.

I spent few days and around 300 on prep materials to get these in a good/decent shape. If anyone is looking to use this kit and trying to weigh pros and cons maybe this write up will help to decide.

I am not hating on the kit as i knew its after market and i knew it will need work. This is just my thoughts on it. I think its great that we do have a choice to have something different as i am a bit tired of stillen or wings west which i had on couple of my z's.

Ultimately though the Front oem facia with Stillen Lip is the best look in my opinion :).
Some might think that the front end could of gotten damage while being shipped! No i did not have this shipped, a friend truck driver picked it up at Z1 and safely delivered it to me.

Here is few pics of the process.

photo IMG_6039_zpsjnnnjmd9.jpg
 photo IMG_5940_zpsixpnwxi8.jpg
 photo IMG_5939_zpsepwycooa.jpg
 photo IMG_5936_zpsbwz5gajd.jpg
 photo IMG_5941_zpsoywtxb3m.jpg
 photo IMG_5932_zpsf5l3tphg.jpg
 photo IMG_6044_zpsvv1r0vp0.jpg
 photo IMG_6041_zpsnjkvhmoz.jpg
 photo IMG_6204_zps4ewcbiae.jpg
 photo IMG_6250_zpsmpzhb285.jpg
 photo IMG_6050_zpsbak9dvaa.jpg
 photo IMG_6038_zpsklxbzjg6.jpg
 photo IMG_6254_zps875hjco8.jpg
 photo IMG_6252_zps9nwrfi5z.jpg
 photo IMG_6040_zps9nq1w90h.jpg
 photo IMG_5934_zpspmonaifu.jpg
 photo IMG_6040_zps9nq1w90h.jpg

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.