TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm using them, they started out as a pretty bad
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm using them, they started out as a pretty bad

Posted by not4resaleZ on March 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM
  This message has been viewed 400 times.

In Reply To CX Racing SMIC's posted by adornare on March 17, 2015 at 05:56 PM

Message product. I got them really cheap. I had to grind out the inlets and outlets because they were really restrictive. I used a carbide burr and opened them up more than the stock intercooler inlets and outlets. When done I could drop a small ball thru the inlets and outlets that was too big for the stock intercoolers. I had to tap and put in threaded inserts for mounting; the stock mounting was screwed up.

Now I'm pretty happy, they fit the stock air ducts better than about anything else but stock. The Z1 intercoolers are too wide and tall for the stock air ducts. Because of the width the combustion air has to travel thru core restriction that isn't even exposed to cooling air. They are about as thick as the Stillen, which is pretty thin for intercoolers, but this may aid in cooling air flow thru the intercoolers at low speeds. They have really thick cast end tanks which I think is a plus to avoid heat soak.

All and all, I think they are ok for the price if the issues are fixed. At the speed that the air has to travel in stock intercooler pipe, I think a lot of the combustion air basically shoots straight across the intercooler anyway, between the inlet and the outlet and little flows thru the top or outer parts of the intercoolers. I think these are fine with chemical intercooling (E85) and stock size intercooler pipe for quick spooling applications.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.