TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - What to do with my Z. Any opinions appreciated.
People Seeking Info

Subject What to do with my Z. Any opinions appreciated.

Posted by DanimalZ on March 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM
  This message has been viewed 870 times.

Message Hey everyone, been following on here for the past few years. So I have a dilemma and can't make up my mind.

Bought my TT in 2008, bone stock no mods besides the stupid spoiler. I found it locally and I was 18 with barely enough money saved (paid $3900 with 150k miles). Always wanted one so I had to have it. Bad news it was in a minor accident, the owner had a tire blow out on the highway and hit a median which dented the driver side fender in, snapped the tension rod and dented the lower arm.

Trailered it home and put in a used tension rod and lower control arm and found a used fender in the same color. But while replacing the parts I noticed that there was a crack below the strut tower, just above the frame rail (right behind the strut assembly to the brake line mounting tab) spreading approximately 6 inches wide by 3/4" high, and the new fender never did line up exactly perfect. Also the carbing strut bar I bought didn't fit by a long shot, so I knew the frame needed a pull and the crack to be patch or seam welded shut.

Well 5 years and 7k miles later the clutch started slipping so while the trans was out I decided to pull the engine last winter to address this frame/strut tower problem. So I trailered it around to a few shops for estimates and it's going to cost me around 1k, give or take. Sorry I don't have any pics of the damage, my old phone got lost with all the pictures on it and my car is sitting at the shop so I can't take new ones at the moment.

So, should I let the shop go ahead with the project to repair it or is the money to have it repaired better used to find a new shell, Aztec or Ultra red preferably. I'd hate to see the car go but I don't want to waste money either if it's not worth getting the repairs done, if they can even get it near perfect again to begin with. Just would like some opinions, thanks so much.

Here are some pictures (first pic is how i bought it)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.