TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - This is exactly what I've spent my winter months doing...
People Seeking Info

Subject This is exactly what I've spent my winter months doing...

Posted by nb623107 on February 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 416 times.

In Reply To Opinion(s) : Bose vs 3rd Party Brackets + Speakers? posted by evan_aggie on February 26, 2015 at 01:01 PM

Message I've set my goal to have my audio system revamped before spring rolls around. I've currently got my interior stripped and about to start running wires for my component setup. I'm using an Alpine PDX-V9 5ch amplifier to run my sub and door speakers. Because I have a Pioneer DEH-80PRS I am also going to be running it in advanced mode or whatever they call it. Because of this, I am ONLY going to have front component speakers (with active crossover).

I spent a considerable amount of time researching and looking up different speakers, enclosures, brackets, installation options, etc. In the end, this is what I've come up with.

1) Any speaker is going to sound better in an enclosure. Open air speakers are available and may work well in a door and a bracket, but I don't believe it will fill the lack of mid-range audio which I'm currently missing.

2) Enclosure design, enclosure design, enclosure design. Make sure if you pick a speaker, that it's recommended sealed or vented enclosure size is close to that of the Bose boxes. It will help maintain a neutral response.

3) If you're going this far to be as anal as I am, you might as well make sure the speakers you're using are acceptable for the frequency range you want them to play. It sounds like you're doing all 4 speakers, so this isn't as big of a deal. BUT, if you do not have a sub, and still want some punchy low-end make sure you choose a speaker that can even play that low.

4) Amp. It makes a huge difference if you're using a really nice set of speakers by running them off an amp, versus running them off of the head unit.

5) Sound deadening/sealing. The speaker in the enclosure will only sound its best if it is properly sealed into the enclosure. Don't just haphazardly throw some 5.25" speakers into the hole left behind on the Bose box with gaping holes like the previous owner did on my car. It'll sound like shit. Make sure it's properly sealed/vented as necessary. As for sound deadener, while you have your door panel open you may as well throw a little bit of dampening material into your doors, lubricate any moving parts, and check that everything is tight too.

With all of that said, here is what I'm moving to do. It sounds drastic, but I think it was the lesser of two evils. I considered taking a stab at fiberglass and custom making an enclosure for the lower front speakers in the place of the factory box. After I looked at the Bose box more closely though, it fits the space pretty well. I really enjoy some good mid-bass, so I wanted a speaker large enough to provide some punch. I do have a sub, so I was only focusing on the ~100Hz-2000Hz range. I've decided upon a 7" speaker. And here is where you're going to think I'm crazy... I'm going through the trouble to cut out the holes on my Bose boxes to fit these big ass 7" speakers. I'm also using home audio speakers due to price, but also because you can get some SUPER nice speakers for the cost vs just buying something on Crutchfield. So, I've got 8ohm 7" mid-bass speakers that are going to be down low. I did a lot of hunting to find one that recommended a really small sealed enclosure size. I'm pretty dang close with the Bose box on these, so I'm excited to hear how they sound.

I'm also doing tweeters, and again went with some nice quality home audio tweeters. Morel. I don't really want to cut into my door panel at all, so I think I'm going to be mounting these behind the vents on the door panels. They won't obstruct ALL of the airflow, but will most of it unfortunately. They also will be off-axis at this point, but sitting in the car and looking at where they will point, I don't think it'll be too terrible.

Good luck on your quest. Before now I've used Infiniti speakers exclusively; the Kappa series are some nice mid-range speakers. Though, I never got quite this anal with them in my previous cars like I'm doing with the Z.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.