TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I went in as a contractor. I worked for a company that
People Seeking Info

Subject I went in as a contractor. I worked for a company that

Posted by J-Mart on January 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM
  This message has been viewed 539 times.

In Reply To Jared posted by BOOZTD 3 on January 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Message designed, built, installed and supported robotic installations at various CAT locations, including Perioa and Aurora. It was my first job after graduating. I appreciated the work I did there, and the majority of the guys I worked with were really great.

In a very short time being there I got to experience some challenges pertaining to my field (welding engineering), but more importantly got first hand experience working alongside the engineering management, the engineers themselves, the shift and line supervisors, the equipment operators, the line welders, tooling designers, electrians, millwrights and supply line coordinators. That gave me more perspective on personnel management, menality differences and operation of a global billion dollar corporation then I would have got in multiple years of work elsewhere. A truly invaluable experience.

But it also confirmed my impression that I wouldn't be able to work for a huge company. Nothing against CAT, but I could have never made a career there. Too much disconnect between the bottom and top of the company. Even though I am Engineer where we learn to focus on details, I am still more drawn to the big picture of things.

The lead welding engineer there was actually the one that encouraged me to return home to work for my father. One afternoon I told him that I was considering quitting my job and wanted to know when would my exit cause their team the least distress. He said not to worry about them, and that he was in the same position about 15 years earlier and chose not to enter his father's business - he said he regretted that choice. We spoke for a while about our experiences and it was very helpful.

Jared
1994 Twin Turbo

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.