TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Which clutch and tires are you using?
People Seeking Info

Subject Which clutch and tires are you using?

Posted by bartz32tt on December 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  This message has been viewed 275 times.

In Reply To Re: Twinturbo manual tranny help posted by slowz1 on December 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Message I've heard of this problem from those around the same power level who have an unsprung clutch (SZ Hi-5). Drag racing, short-shifter (fast shifts), slicks, and the unsprung clutch all contribute to transmission failure (not sure if you have any of the above).

Unfortunately there aren't any cheap fixes to this if you want to drag race, as there aren't a lot of sprung clutch kits available that are suitable for drag racing. You're pretty much limited to a multi-disc clutch or a built (or auto) trans.

The main things you can do are: shift more slowly, make sure your pedal is adjusted correctly, make sure your clutch fluid is bled properly and fluid is of good quality/condition, upgrade to a HD clutch fork to ensure it's fully disengaging (stock fork bends under heavy pressure that aftermarket clutch plates put it under), make sure your clutch fork pivot ball is not worn down for the same reasons as stated above, address worn suspension if you're getting wheel hop. Although I've heard of others' transmissions grenading at similar power levels, I don't think 620whp should be destroying the Z's transmission if all the above are addressed. With that said, I plan on picking up the SZ Hi-5 clutch for my Z and I'll be looking at around the same whp level with all the items I've added. Good luck.

________________Sig Separator________________________

Selling used ACT full-face sprung clutch kit: $300 + shipping ConUS!

Brand-spanking new AVS side-mount intercoolers $380 + shipping

Chrome "boost" hardpipes and couplers/clamps $100 + shipping

Twin Turbo aluminum front calipers: $200 + shipping. Needs paint or will paint red for additional $50

Parting out my entire 1990 twin turbo! Please email me for needed parts!
See profile for my WTB/WTT list as well.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.